- What are some definitions of common lighting types and styles ?
- How does a halogen bulb work?
- What is a compact fluorescent lamp?
- What are some basic lighting design strategies?
- What is important to consider in kitchen lighting design?
- What is important to consider in bathroom lighting design?
- What is important to consider when designing light for living spaces?
- What are some lighting tips for foyers, halls, and stairways?
- What are some lighting tips for living rooms?
- What are some lighting tips for dining areas?
- What is important to consider in track lighting design?
What are some lighting tips for dining areas?
A chandelier or pendant can be a general lighting element, as well as the focal point of the home. Recessed wall washers can provide additional light while helping to create an illusion of a larger room space. A chandelier should be 6" to 12" smaller than the narrowest side of the table. The bottom of a pendant or chandelier should be approximately 30" above table.
The use of adjustable halogen recessed fixtures aimed on the table and chandelier helps to provide additional light on the table, and will also bring out the brilliance of the chandelier. Consider companion sconces or wall brackets on either side of a china cabinet or hutch. "Puck lights" mounted inside valences and cabinets adds drama.
Consider a chandelier with an integral down light for additional light on the table.